Chronological history of the airport development:
Gorna Oryahovitsa Airport was officially opened in 1925. Until 1948 when “Gorna Oryahovitsa Airport complex ” to the Bulgarian Civil Aviation was established, it has been made use basically of the military aviation, the airport has been used as well as a transit and reserve one for passenger and cargo flights between Sofia and Varna. In 1948 was opened the third domestic line for passenger traffic, along the rout Sofia – Gorna Oryahovitsa – Sofia. During this period in the airport field were built four hangers, administration buildings and premises of life for the employees and for the aviation staff.
1925-1948: The airport is used by the military aviation.
1948: The Flying Complex of the Gorna Oryahovitsa was founded. The third domestic line in Bulgaria Sofia-Gorna Oryahovitsa-Sofia was launched.
1969-1973: A new runway /2450m long and 45m wide/ and a new concrete taxiway were built. The bearing strength of the runway /PCN/ is 38/R/C/X/T/, which allows landing and taking off of planes with total weight up to 200 tones.
1975-1978: A new building with offices, a passenger terminal
/ 2160 sq. m. / and a new apron were built. It allowed the simultaneous stay of 5 planes / 2 heavy, 2 medium and 1 light /. The commencement of flies to Central and Western Europe, the former Soviet Union, Africa and the Near East was set.
1982: The runway was covered with asphalt concrete.
1991: At the end of the year the airport has become a separate company, registered according to the Bulgarian law.
1992: A new, modernly equipped Air Traffic Tower is opened.
1994: The Ministry of Transportation of Bulgaria on the basis of Article 43, Paragraph 4 of the Civil Aviation Law, decreed that, from February,94 Gorna Oryahovitsa Airport could handle international flights, undertaken by Bulgarian carriers for the needs of Bulgarian institutions, physical and legal persons.
1995: According to Decree No 88 of the Council of Ministers, of February 22, 95, Gorna Oryahovitsa Airport was thus defined as an International Airport. An unit for border control of people and cargoes was founded.
1996: According to Art. 147, Par.2, Art. 261 and 262 the company is registered as a share company with state participation – The Airport of Gorna Oryahovitsa Co.
1996-1997: New Systems for control of the air traffic were supplied. The airport has been equipped with high intensity light system – First Category, for landing and taking off in conditions of poor visibility.
2002: In December the airport has been reconfirmed as an international airport on equal terms with the airports in Sofia, Varna, Bourgas and Plovdiv.
2004: ILS is removed. Since then it is an airport of non-precisions approach.
2005: Current repairs of the runway were made.
2008: Fire category has been increased to 6.The apron is asphalted and the new PCN is increased to 45/R/B/X/T, there are 3 apron stands.